We were delighted to sponsor the University of Glasgow’s second TEDx event last month; TEDxGU15 Conference. SIE Informatics Intern for the West, Tomasz Sadowski, attended the event on behalf of SIE.
The build-up to the event started with a successful launch party at The Grosvenor in Glasgow on the 25th February with keynote speakers, entertainment, food and drinks.
The main event took place on the 7th of March at the University. This year’s theme was ‘Crossing the Rubicon’ and was attended by around 100 people. Speakers included;
- Adrian Buzatu (ATLAS experiment, CERN)
- Mairi Damer (founder of WORD UP Communications)
- Peter McGinty (Asteroids and Space Debris Researcher)
- Miriam Wilson (People & Planet)
- James Schmidt (Digital Project Officer, Wheatley Group)
- Debora Buba Feza Kayembe (Lawyer and Human Rights campaigner)
- Chris Moore (Director of Trick Creative)
Photo credit: Official TEDxUniversityOfGlasgow Facebook page
Speakers spoke about unpredictable situations where they had to use creativity and intuition when taking the next step; a situation often seen when people create their own businesses. Chris Moore delivered a fantastic talk on entrepreneurship and how important determination and effort are when you start up a company.
The day was a great success with an inspirational atmosphere. Attendees were curious about the topics and it was a great opportunity to spread the word about the work that SIE does.